Nothing says summer to me quite like the whir of the ice cream freezer and the taste of homemade vanilla ice cream. Lately we've been topping warm slices of our famous Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake with scoops of creamy vanilla ice cream. (Friends have been raving about this particular combination for years and we're so glad we finally tried it!)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Cans Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/2 Quarts Whole Milk (plus more for filling)
- 1/2 Pint Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Vanilla
- Add eggs and sugar to a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
- Mix in Eagle Brand milk.
- Add whole milk, cream, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into 1 1/2 gallon ice cream freezer (crank or electric) and add additional milk to fill line.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker's instructions.
*While our favorite homemade ice cream flavor is plain vanilla, we also love to mix things up by adding fresh mashed strawberries, mashed banana, or mashed peaches before freezing for a fruity treat.